In cold parts of Kenya or most places during the cold season, you will find that walls even those that are outdoors are affected by the growth of mold and mildew or even Mosses. This is due to excess moisture and the fact that flats are built next to each other preventing sunlight from reaching the walls.
Mould and mildew are fungi that grow in humid conditions. They are not only unsightly, but they are also a health hazard for those with allergies and conditions like asthma. They grow on carpets, bags, and enclosed rooms like bathrooms. They spread like wildfire if not checked. Cement walls are poor insulators hence, during cold seasons, condensation occurs encouraging the growth of mold.
What Do Mold and Mildew Mean for Your Health?
If you have allergies and asthma, then the mold is going to be problematic. It can cause nosebleeds, itchy skin, red eyes, coughing, sneezing, stuffy and runny nose, itchy sore throat, chronic fatigue, rashes, upper respiratory tract symptoms as it produces mycotoxins.
As mentioned earlier, mold thrives in excess moisture. Ensure there are no pipe leakages in your home. Also, increase air circulation. Let air flow in as well as light by opening windows. You could also purchase a dehumidifier to help reduce moisture in your home. A final tip to help you reduce moisture is to use silica gel in cupboards and closets or salt that absorb moisture.
You can kill mold by using a fungicide like Score then clean the surface using bleach, water, and a cloth to remove the stains.
Clean Using a Mixture of Bleach and Water
Mix one part bleach and three parts water to get rid of mold. Spray the affected area, leave for a few minutes then wipe and dry it with a cloth. Stubborn areas can be cleaned using a brush then wipe and dried using a cloth.
Clean Using a Mixture of Baking Soda and Water
Mix one tablespoon of baking soda into water and use it to wipe the affected area. Once through, dry the area with a cloth.
Spray some hydrogen peroxide on the wall, let sit for a while then brush the affected area and dry using a cloth or sponge.
Once you have cleaned the area, use mold-resistant paint to make your walls look fresh.
The most important thing to do when you want to prevent the growth of mold and mildew in your home is to ensure you keep moisture out. Think about both the light and aeration aspects of a house before renting, building, or purchasing.
In Conclusion, setting up moisture absorbing desiccants usually containing silica gel or salt at corners of the house will help absorb extra moisture. While painting or repainting, the use of mold-resistant paint is a good choice. While showering, open a fan or windows, and after showering keep the bathroom door open for at least 20 minutes to dispense the accumulated moisture. Often clean using disinfectant and bleach and vinegar to stop it before it occurs or reoccurs and check for leakage and spills in broken pipes to be fixed before they become problematic. Additionally, allow clothes and carpets to dry out completely. Contact +254737898884, +254759292158, +254789231328, +254742448334, or drop an email to to schedule emergency mold control services.