Your dream home can become uncomfortable when there is a bat infestation in the attic. The attic is very ideal for the bats to live in as it is dark and contains insects that bats can feed on. The noises that bats make, particularly at night, can disturb your sleep. Their remains in the attic, commonly known as guano, can leave a bad odor. Removing bats can be quite a daunting task for homeowners; a reason why you need to seek the services of a bat control expert. In this article, we look at some ways you can identify a bat infestation and how to control them.
Signs that there are bats in the attic
- Seeing a bat: This is the most obvious sign that your home is infested with bats. However, observing them fly is not enough to know whether it is one or they exist as a colony.
- Bat Guano/ droppings: If there is a bat colony in your attic, you will know it through smelling a very pungent odor. This smell is usually from bat droppings. Accumulation of these droppings can corrode the wood, which can lead to the formation of mold. To avoid such damages, it is wise to call a bat control expert.
- Noise: Bat activity can be quite noisy. However, such noise can only be realized when there is a bat colony. Hearing the noise made by a small group of bats is difficult.
- Bat bugs: A bat roost acts as a habitat to other parasites known as bat bugs. Bat bugs bite and can often be mistaken for bed bugs. A bat control expert can help you tell the difference.
Bat control can be done by following these guidelines:
- The first step is to identify the bats through the signs listed above.
- Discover the entry point to the attic. Bats get into the attic through holes or gaps. Identifying these entry points can be quite difficult. It is wise to do so during the day or when there is a bright light.
- Seal the openings, gaps, and cracks starting from the small to the large ones. This should be done at dusk when bats leave the attic. Start by checking whether all the bats have left the attic. In case the sealing is done when there is some inside, they could die due to suffocation. Consequently, a homeowner will have to endure the odor of dead bats until they decompose.
- Using a one-way exclusion device at the entry point also makes the bat control process very effective. Bats can come out but not get in again.
- After all the bats have been removed, the largest entry point should be sealed.
- Clean up the bat droppings from the attic.
- The last step is to sanitize the ceiling and entire home against bat bugs, mites, and fleas.
While the steps listed above are effective in bat control, high-level safety measures are required. The correct sealing material should be used. It is advisable to hire the services of bat control experts by contacting +254737898884, +254759292158, +254789231328, +254742448334, or drop an email to They have vast knowledge about bats. Their bat control methods are safe, effective and they guarantee the best results.